Everybody's problems are different and need personalized solutions. I do all that I can to treat you as an individual - not "just another client."
My practice concentrates in:
- Employment, Wrongful Discharge, Harassment, Unpaid Wages, Overtime and related matters. Civil Rights and Discrimination.
- Divorce, Custody, Visitation, Paternity, Support, Domestic Violence and related matters.
I represent a variety of clients, including all kinds and types of employees. I also help small businesses who want to be good employers. I can represent you before the federal and
state courts, administrative agencies, and in mediation and arbitration.
I believe hard work, common sense and practical judgment are key to meeting your legal needs.
- Illinois, 1983
- U.S. District Court Central District of Illinois, 1984
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Illinois, 1987
- U.S. District Court Southern District of Illinois, 1987
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Illinois Trial Bar, 1987
- U.S. Court of Appeals 5th Circuit, 1987
- U.S. Court of Appeals 7th Circuit, 1987
- Drake University Law School, Des Moines, Iowa, 1983
- J.D., With Honors
- Drake Law Review, 1982 - 1983
- University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign, Illinois, 1980
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Sangamon County Bar Association, Member
- Illinois Bar Association, Member
- American Bar Association, Member
- National Employment Lawyers Association, Member
- NELA llinois, Member
- Sojourn Shelter & Services Board, Member, President of Board (2015-17)
- Springfield Center for Independent Living (SCIL) Board, Member, President of Board (2016-17)
Past Employment Positions
- Watson & Linder, Managing Member, 2009 - 2011
- Watson Law, Owner, 1995 - 2009
- Feldman & Wasser, Attorney, 1991 - 1995
- Illinois Attorney General's Office, Assistant Attorney General, 1986 - 1991
- Deputy Chief, General Law Division, Illinois Attorney General's Office, 1988 - 1991
- Administrator, Court of Claims, Illinois Attorney General's Office, 1990 - 1991
- McConnell, Kennedy, Quinn & Johnston, Ltd., Attorney, 1983 - 1986
- Born September 27, 1956, in Peoria, Illinois, United States of America to Caroline Shinkle Watson and Hon. James R. Watson
- Married to Sarah Seiler Watson, the executive director of the Looking for Lincoln Heritage Coalition, which administers the
Abraham Lincoln National Heritage Area
- Father to John Watson and Elisabeth Watson Kaiser
- John served five years in the US Marines, and is now working for the State of Illinois, after working for the Speaker of the Illinois House
- Elisabeth works as a cook and trainer for Whole Foods in St. Louis, MO
- Proud owner and friend of two great mutts, "Lucy" and "Georgia", and a cat named "Kitten"