What to Do After Being Fired
The following steps may help you if you have been fired:
- DO NOT act against your employer in any way that could be considered improper;
- Ask why you got fired.
- Find out who decided to fire you.
- If you have an employment contract, review it.
- Gather and review any Employee Manual, and Benefits Books.
- Get a copy of your personnel file.
- Return all company property and follow any reasonable instructions from your employer.
- Contact a lawyer experienced in employment law for advice and representation.
- Request and negotiate a severance agreement.
- Make sure your termination and severance agreements are in writing.
- Do not allow yourself to be intimidated.